Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Workin' on my Fitness

I am currently at work, waiting for my experiment to finish. I am bored so I started reading about the exercises I will have to do tonight according to my Jillian Michaels Making the Cut book. On January 3rd, I began working out 4 days a week, and (at least trying) to eat better. I have done pretty well so far, as the workout goes at least. I am now able to run 1.5 miles without stopping, which is something I have never been able to do, because for some reason I have the lung capacity of and 80 year old with emphysema.

When is started the program, I stuck close to the meal plan. However, in the past week or two, I have strayed a bit because I can't afford to spend $150 at the grocery store every week. Dieting is burning a hole in my wallet! I thought I would share with you a couple of the things I have learned from this book--good and bad.

1. EAT BREAKFAST (how many times have you heard someone say that?? It's so true!!), and have a healthy snack between lunch and dinner. This is especially important if you plan to work out before dinner. I have found that I work much harder and have more energy when I have an apple or some crackers and PB around 3:00 and then start my workout between 4:30 and 5:00. It makes a huge difference when it comes to running long distances without stopping because you have energy from the food, but not a super full stomach.

2. Drink a lot of water. I never used to drink water, maybe a glass before bed sometimes but that was it. Now I drink at least 48oz a day. I bought this cute water bottle from target that holds 24oz. I don't drink soda anymore (at least at work), so I just make sure to drink 2 of these throughout the day.

3. Write in a food journal. It sounds really stupid and OCD, but it has helped me watch what I eat. And if I eat something not so good (like nachos...ahem..like every time I'm with Emily), I am more motivated the next day when I work out to make up for it.

4. And lastly, the book is helpful, however some of the exercises are really tough. If there is something I can't do, I try to modify it in a way to my fitness level. And I wish I would have known that some of the exercises that I am supposed to perform require weight and cable machines. I wanted to do this 30 day plan at home, but it is proving to be quite difficult.

Anyway, I am just getting the hang of this blogging thing. This blog is going to be a record of every day things I think about, so the sky is the limit I guess. I hope it doesn't bore anyone too much! See you next time...

And to leave you a quote from the Duchess herself:

"My body stay vicious, I be up in the gym just working on my fitness"
-Fergie

:D

1 comment:

Emily said...

Nachos are an essential part of my diet, so too bad. And yes, a food journal is helpful..I used to do that.

Keep up the blogging!